The University of Cape Coast was established in October 1962, primarily to serve as a leader in teacher education in the country. It was elevated to the status of a full and independent University by an Act of Parliament in 1971 (Act 390) and subsequently the University of Cape Coast Law 1992 (PNDC Law 278). It is an equal opportunity University, uniquely placed to provide quality education through the provision of comprehensive liberal and professional programmes that challenge learners to be creative, innovative and morally responsible citizens. The University of Cape Coast currently has a total student population of 70,300 comprising 21,617 Regular students, 8,152 Sandwich students and 40,531 Distance Leaming students.
The Council of the University of Cape Coast invites applications from qualified and competent persons for the position of Vice Chancellor of the University which becomes vacant on 1st August, 2020.
The Position/ Functions
The Vice-Chancellor is, under the direction of the University Council, the Academic and Administrative Head, as well as Chief Disciplinary Officer of the University.
• He/she is also responsible to the University Council for maintaining and promoting the good order and efficiency of the University.
• His/Her other functions are prescribed by the Statutes of the University.
Tenure of Office
• The appointment, which is full time, shall be for four (4) years in the first instance and may be renewed for a further of up to three (3) years after evaluation of performance.
• Candidates must be able to hold office for four (4) years from the date of appointment before attaining the compulsory retiring age of sixty (60).
Conditions of Service
• Very attractive. Terms and conditions of office will be specified in the instrument of appointment.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Candidates must be full professors who are internationally acclaimed scholars.
• They must be individuals of stature and integrity with exemplary leadership, interpersonal and communication skills, zeal, energy and the capacity for marshalling the resources needed to carry out the University's mission and vision.
Candidates must also show evidence of the following qualities:
• Demonstrated ability or potential to manage a University;
• Ability to foster and promote good internal and external relations of the University;
• Ability to project effectively the image of the University internally and externally;
• Proven capacity to provide strong, visionary leadership and innovation for the University.
Location: Cape Coast
How To Apply For The Job
• Interested candidates should submit five (5) copies of their application package, including Curriculum Vitae, Vision Statement, Certificates and any other relevant documents.
• Candidates should submit, in not more than three thousand, six hundred (3,600) words on A4 paper(s), using Times New Roman 12, in 1.5 line spacing and with 2.54cm margin all round, statement of their vision for the University of Cape Coast and the strategies for achieving the vision.
• Applications should be addressed and submitted by registered courier to
(Post of Vice Chancellor)
c/o The Registrar
University of Cape Coast
Cape Coast - Ghana
(Post of Vice Chancellor)
C/o Universities of Ghana Overseas Office
321 City Road
London EC1V 11J
Candidates should request three (3) referees to submit reports on them directly to the above address.
Closing Date: 09 March, 2020