Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role:
- To lead and direct the Ghana exploration region with the goal of adding significant value to Newmont and creating a strategic competitive advantage.
- To set the exploration strategy for the Ghana region to deliver optimal business results by identifying, discovering or acquiring new deposits (primarily gold) within the Ghana region in support of the Newmont’s discovery and reserve replacement programs worldwide.
- To partner with the Regional Group Executive, Exploration to formulate and execute the Africa Operations' business strategy and objectives in order to achieve growth targets.
- To provide strategic direction and leadership to the Exploration department to ensure the implementation of the department’s strategy, policies and procedures to guarantee optimised exploration performance in line with strategic and operational business goals; by delivering value adding exploration services, advice and coaching to the respective business functions.
In This Role You Will:
- Establish and promote a pro-active Health and Safety (H&S) program within the Exploration department to ensure Newmont and African Region HSLP protocols are known, practiced and adhered to, targeting zero harm and measured by the total recordable injury frequency rate.
- Represent the Company’s interests in partner operations at the exploration stage.
- Play an active role in achieving the Ghana Region’s annual production, earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA), saving and improvement targets and objectives.
- Advance Akyem, Ahafo South and Ahafo North projects through their relative Stage Gate processes to ongoing production with an additional goal to re-initiate generative and early-stage exploration within the Ghana Region.
- Develop the Ghana’s Exploration strategy and confirm that is aligned with Newmont’s major strategic objectives as well as the Africa Region’s strategy, business plans and objectives, for a sustainable competitive advantage.
- Identify, evaluate, propose and execute new business opportunities in conjunction with the Exploration Business Development group and conduct negotiations where required.
- Work with Study Directors and take accountability for Stage 0 (Idea Discovery) studies leading to new resource declaration and thereafter support with studies progression through Stage 1 (Scoping) and 2 (Build the Business Case).
- Lead projects from early exploration tier work all the way through the Stage 3 (Development) of project development pipeline.
- Assess prospective acquisition or development properties within area of responsibility.
Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Your Training & Experience Checklist:
- Minimum of a Bachelors Science degree in Geology or related Earth Science discipline. Master’s degree desirable plus registration with an appropriate professional bosy/ association.
- Substantial knowledge of:
- Gold mining or broader hard rock mining operations with expert knowledge in all license applications and legal aspects related to exploration.
- Health and safety, sustainability, external stakeholder relations, including community relations in the mining industry.
- Preparing, editing and reviewing authority for expenditures (AFE) justifications, including planning, budgeting, executing and managing large, multi-mine development programs and associated staff.
- Resource modelling techniques and “Idea-to-Launch Model” investment systems, e.g. Stage-Gate with particular skill acuity at the stage 0 to 2(B) levels.
- All phases of exploration and of various geological terrains and mineralisation styles.
- At least 15 years of exploration experience in a mining environment, in roles that required increasing levels of responsibilities related to exploration in both greenfields and brownfields settings plus experience in mine production and development support roles.
- Substantial knowledge of leading and managing an exploration teams.
- Demonstrated successes in working collaboratively in multi-cultural teams in expatriate settings. Work in developing countries, specifically in West Africa preferred.
- Extensive travel to mine or exploration sites is required, monthly to Ahafo or Akyem, quarterly to Ethiopia (or other Africa-Europe Region sites) and six times a year to US or Canada.
- Extended and unpredictable hours is the norm.